Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lack of posts

Yeh, yeh, been slack. Been busy to tell the truth.
Many things have changed since previous posts. I am not going to be working in Gladstone for one thing. On Friday June 13 I put in a written job application. On Friday June 20 I had an interview. On Thursday June 26 I was told I had the job. On Friday June 27 I completed the forms. On Monday June 30 I started work!

It was an incredibly fast process but they needed someone to take over at least a week before the previous person left. That was last week. This week I am more in self-propulsion.

So, what am I doing?
I am the First Year Experience Coordinator at the Student Support Centre for the whole of the 6 CQUniversity campuses plus distance students. BIIIIIGGG! Important :p

Yeh, what does that mean?
I organise the orientations and make sure they are run consistenly across all 6 campuses (and a few other places for distance students). That involves coordinating faculty, administration and everything to do with the week long event in Feb and 3 day event in July. This past weekend was the mid-year orientation which was already organised, but I helped run it and had a learning experience.

Next part is the student mentoring program where we get 2nd year or above students and allocate them to all of the first year students at all campuses and distance. Big job, especially when I really don't know what is going on.

Third part is much smaller and is one of the scholarship programs.

The great thing is that I can work towards improving all of these things so that the students in the future have as best experience as possible. Actually that's the biggest part and I get to call in all my research skills and find out what others think too. Not to mention data analysis of surveys and focus groups.

Along with that, I have made contact with my Physics students and started to answer their preliminary course questions. That's so much fun.

So more later. But if you want a blog with interesting photos of an amazing European adventure, see the Normals blog!

No comments: