Saturday, June 21, 2008

What have we been up to?

Started the week not doing much. Just a little on the kitchen cabinet.


Wednesday we had a little trip to Gladstone to the CQU campus there. I had a meeting with the guy I will be doing some Materials research with in the coming months. It all went well and I saw all of the labs there. Llew came with me and talked to a few people there about a course they lecture and robots. We had some lunch and then drove back. It is about an hour and a half drive each way (110km).

One thing Gladstone is famous for is the aluminium plant. Guess where it is? Hint: It processes bauxite.
It is also one of the largest coal ports in Australia. Right near the CQU campus and the lovely marina.
Thursday I went in to work with Llew and talked to the coordinator for the Physics course I'll be helping teach. It is Engineering Physics and involves thermodynamics and waves. I got the study guides and have started going through them. I actually have an easy job because I am looking after the flexible learning students. That means I have to be available to answer questions and help them with their online work. I don't have to lecture, even though I am a lecturer. Then I'll have marking to do for those students too. Don't worry, there probably won't be more than 30 students!
Friday I had a job interview for a first year coordinator position for the student support centre. I thought it sounded research focussed in the description, but it turns out to be very admin focussed. I don't think I'll get the job, as I have not had much experience with it, but even if I do, I'm considering putting my PhD qualifications to a more appropriate use. At least now I have had some interview experience.
Today we started sorting out the boxes stored down stairs. We really wanted to find a few things, some we did and some we didn't. We have now made a new list of the contents and put a few more bits permanently into plastic tubs for unlimited storage with easy access. Bit more to do on that tomorrow, then I'll get back to this cabinet! Llew keeps telling me he needs to put the cutting boards and baking trays away!
So, there, no more asking what have we been doing. Now you know.

No comments: