Thursday, September 27, 2007

Birthday Celebrations

Well for thouse that don't know I was in London last week (more photos to follow) but as part of that I celebrated my 27th Birthday. As part of the celebration I went to the Hinds Head in Bray, just outside London. It is owned by Heston Blumenthal, who also owns the Fat Duck (two doors away) which was vosted best restaurant in the world in 2005 and runner up in 2004, 2006 and 2007. I went along with Robin, Shawn and Shanna (who were in London with me) and Matt & Bridie.

After a short train ride from Paddington Station, we caught a taxi to the pub. After being seated, we were confronted with a very interesting menu. I started with the rabbit and bacon terrine,
Shanna had the goats cheese onion and red pepper tart and Shawn and Robin shared the house tea smoked salmon.

For main I had the Gloucester Old Spot pork chop with pease pudding, Shawn, Robin had the whole sea bream, and the rest had the rump steak with bone marrow sauce. It was all delicious, especially the sauce with the steak.

For dessert I ordered the poached pear in red wine and spices. Matt had the quaking pudding, which is a recipe that dates from as early as the 17th century. It's basically a cross between an Italian panna cotta and a french flan but with traditional english spices (such as cinnamon and nutmeg). Bridie ordered the banana eton mess both Shanna and Shawn got the treacle tart. Finally Robin ordered the chocolate wine, another recipe dating from 1710. It's basically a chocolate and wine drink, enriched with eggs and spices served warm.

Paring the wonderful food with wine, including a delightful sauternes with dessert made it one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Thanks again to Matt & Bridie for organising the sojourn, Robin for shouting and Shawn and Shanna for helping me make the day special.

The Hinds Head from the outside


The Fat Duck, just down the street.


The group outside the Hinds Head. From left to right: Robin, Shanna, Shawn, me, Bridie & Matt.


Here I am still excited after the meal.


Shanna asking, "What do we do now?"

No comments: