Saturday, June 16, 2007

Inspire Local Acadamy I

On Sunday night we started the Inspire Acadamy for local teachers. So much happened and it was a very long week. I got up at 5:50 every morning and took the 6:10am bus. We were given breakfast and lunch every day and the food was great. The teachers were all fantastic and I think they got a lot out of the week.
I am going to split the photos into 3 blog entries because there was so much fun stuff to take photos of.
The first thing we did was build towers out of note cards and a small amount of tape. Each group had their own approach and some worked, others didn't. They were supposed to hold a small toy on top for a few seconds. Some held for a lot longer.





The second thing was a talk about technology that I gave. Good fun. After the story from the Boston Museum of Science, I talked about Mechanical Engineers. I used rolling pins and egg beaters to demonstrate machines.

Then we looked at properties of materials for sail boats. Of course they had to build the sail boats and test them. Llew actually built the fishing line rails the boats ran on. They worked perfectly, even if the sails did not!

The sails were part of the catching the wind module. Stay tuned for the rest of the module with the windmills.

No comments: